Thursday, August 12, 2010

a year older and a few less brain cells

I am truly hoping that this is just me, but I think I'm more forgetful now than ever. I did a final walk-through of the rental house the other day and had to hold on to the check the landlord gave me (full refund of deposit, yeah!) while we chatted a little bit. When I got in the car before I left, I had a frantic moment of searching for that check. I remembered as I was holding onto it, Don't lose it! I didn't lose it, but there was that moment when I thought I did. And then there's a daily look out for my cell phone, and I do mean daily, as in several times a day. ARGH!

My birthday started great, full of songs and laughter from the kids. Then I went to Wal-Mart to do some school supply shopping and then I got hit from behind by a woman as I was leaving my parking space. I got out of the car, looked at the damage and saw my rear right corner bumper was caved in. "I want your insurance information," I said as I went back in my car to get my pen, cell phone and insurance card. When I came out she asked, "Why were you so slow?" With the adrenaline running through my body, it took a bit of restraint not to say, "DUH! So I don't hit other unsuspecting cars or people." As I was taking a picture of the damage to my car, she came over and said, "I didn't do that." "Yes, you did. I have never been in an accident in a long time, and not with this car." Thankfully, to that she seemed to accept the fact and said, "It doesn't look so bad."

So I came home, called the police, called the insurance company and then went off to lunch with Daddy and Little M. By this time, I'm thankful that I was no longer shaking from the adrenaline and thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the day.

Two days later (yesterday), I ran over a nail 2 minutes from Big M's school as I was picking him up. It punctured the tire, so I had to call my knight in shining armor (Daddy) to come rescue me. I can count 3 times in the past 6 years this had happened to me. I think it's fate telling me I really should go ahead and pay attention to how to change my own tire. Daddy has explained it to me as many times, but I couldn't really get into the lesson. It's one of those things that it's better to do yourself in order to learn it. So as I was waiting for Daddy in the school parking lot, I went ahead and started. I read the car manual and got moving. I had already gotten the spare tire down by the time Daddy came. And what's up with the other parents at school (even the men!) not even stopping to ask if I needed help!?

Anyway, that's in the past. I'm ok, my family is Ok. Our AC finally has a new compressor and is working, just in time for the 115 heat index. All is well. All is especially well when I bought a yummy little cake from Wal-mart. We all gobbled it up, I had to send Daddy to get another one. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment