Tuesday, October 29, 2013

First Endoscopy, the beginning of our journey to Eosinophilic Esophagitis

I need to document this to get my dates straight. On August 29, Little M had his first endoscopy in order to find out why he has been vomiting constantly for the last year and a half. His GI has put him on Prevacid 2x a day for the last year and yet every attempt to wean him to 1x a day has failed. It controlled his vomiting very well, with flare ups every now and then.



The day started out with a 2-hr drive to the hospital in order to make his 1pm endoscopy. But with my error in preparing, his procedure was pushed back to 5pm. With a teary conversation with the GI, he managed to push back the procedure instead of sending us back home. This little guy was hungry and thirsty.

Numbing cream were put in 2 spots of his arms before the IV was placed. When the nurses came back, I was told to lay down with him and hug him so I could hold his arms and wrap my legs around his legs. They were prepared for a thrashing screaming 3-year old.

But true to his personality, he was very easy going. He winced but he did not move. He was very brave and he knew it. The nurses phrased him for being better than most adults.


The endoscopy itself only lasted 10 minutes. Once he was wheeled in to the OR, my wait was a total of 20 minutes. Though short, it was the longest 20 minutes of my life. Several times I thought I was going to faint but everything went well. The doctor was glad we did this endoscopy because he found a polyp in his small intestine. Several biopsies were taken.

A couple of weeks later, results came in. His eosinophil count in the mid esophagus was 100, and the close to the stomach is 25. Eosinophilic Esophagitis and Juvenile Polyp were the diagnoses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment