Tuesday, February 5, 2008

What a Weekend

So much happened this past weekend, I don't even know where to begin.

Let me start with Katie's bronchitis. Or so we thought it was bronchitis.

Jan. 25th, Friday - Daddy and I took Katie to the doctor after she's been wheezing for 2 days. The doctor put her on antibiotic and sent us home with our very own nebulizer. She was to be on Albuterol every 4 hours though the weekend. By Monday, though she was still wheezing, it wasn't as bad.

Jan. 31st, Thurday - Jordan was starting to cough. By 11am, she refused to breastfeed. By 2am, she still hasn't breastfed and so I was beginning to worry. Daddy suggested that I pump because she may take a bottle. Sure enough, she took it.

Feb. 1st, Friday - Jordan and Katie are due for their RSV shot, and Katie is also due for a follow up with her bronchitis. Since we're already there, I decided to have Jordan checked out. First of all, the doctor said Katie's wheezing wasn't any better and that her antibiotics wasn't working. To top it off, Jordan now has the same thing. They were given new antibiotics and were put on Albuterol and Palmicort (a steroid).

By Friday night through Saturday, even Daddy was up with me in the middle of the night. I nursed Katie, while Daddy had Jordan on the nebulizer. When Jordan was done, he took Katie on the nebulizer, and I pumped so that I could feed Jordan through a bottle. It was a very long Friday night and very long Saturday.

Feb. 2nd, Saturday - Jordan finally takes the breast, making life a bit easier. Daddy suggested that I take away the bottle in the middle of the feeding and I quickly offer the breast. It worked!
We had to resort to this trickery for the rest of the day. Oi!

Feb. 3rd, Sunday - Katie is no longer wheezing, so I have weaned her off the Albuterol. But she's still on the steroid. Jordan still sounds like she's smoking 4 packs of cigarettes a day, so she's still on continuous round of Albuterol and steroid.

Today Jordan is only wheezing intermitently, but Katie is wheez-free.

Phew.

No comments:

Post a Comment