Sunday, June 15, 2008

you don't have to cry

Yesterday afternoon, we decided to buy Matty a baseball glove for his T-ball. While at the store, we thought it's about time to introduce Matty to board game. We bought Hi-Ho Cheerio, a counting game which disappointingly only goes up to 10.

Matty woke up bright and early at 5:45 and wanted to play it. We were having fun until I said, "There's only 1 chery left on my tree, I'm winning!" and that was the end of our fun. With the hysterics, it took me a few minutes to realize that he wanted to win, not me!

It took me a few minutes to think of proper action: should I let him from now on? or do I teach the importance of following the rules and the difference between winning and losing. I opted for the a life lesson in reality. I told him that he won't always win. He doesn't have to like losing, but he must try and be a good sport about it. Through the crying, I kept on explaining about how at the end of the his T-ball game yesterday, his team lined up with their right hands up in the air in order to shake the other team's hands and say "Good game!". There is a loser and a winner, but no one cried about it.

I thought he tuned me out, but after 20 minutes when he quieted down, he asked to play again. As if I didn't just have a dissertation on good sportsmanship, he went on to explain to me and Daddy that we shouldn't cry if we lose.

3 comments:

  1. David was the same way when he was little. He always wanted to win!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not terribly surpised because I expect all kids to go through this, but what I am surprised about is that it happened so early at 3!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I'll have to check out that game. Sounds like something my son might like to play as well but he isn't quite 3 yet. That is dissapointing it only goes up to 10. Glad you decided to teach him the "life" lesson. I think that's best and too funny how he taught it right back at ya!!

    ReplyDelete