Thursday, May 10, 2012

Have you forgotten your children, North Carolina?

Amendment One passed in North Carolina the other day. It bans gay marriage, but this law is more than that. It  states:

Sec. 6. Marriage.
Marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized in this State. This section does not prohibit a private party from entering into contracts with another private party; nor does this section prohibit courts from adjudicating the rights of private parties pursuant to such contracts

It says the state will only recognize a legal union between a man and a woman. The state already has a ban on gay marriages in place, so this just serves to cement it. Most everyone who is against this amendment is against because of it's vague wording and it's implications. What happens when a battered woman files a charge against her boyfriend? Does she have the backing of the law? Maybe not, because theirs is not a "legal union".  What happens if they have children, and poor, and has no health insurance. Can the child apply for medicaid? The State will not recognize the parent's union if they are not married, so what then?

I have a lot of issue about this amendment, and one of the stronger ones is because I am a mother. North Carolina's Amendment One has essentially disowned gay people. What if your baby, your toddler, your young child, grandchildren turn out to be gay? You have disowned them. You have alienated them. You have told them that North Carolina doesn't want you there.

My children might do something very wrong, and unforgivable, or something that might offend God, but as a mother I will always love them. I can be mad and angry but I will always be their mother. I imagine God to be loving and ever forgiving and as a parent, I want to strive to be the same way. God wants us to love each other, not hate. 

As a Catholic, I believe in God's design for a man and a woman. A man and a woman is designed to bear children. Obviously gay people go against that, but I have no problem with that. It is between that particular man or woman and GOD. Not me. I am neither the judge, nor jury of God's laws. God loves everyone.

I don't know if my children will turn out gay or lesbian. If they did, I'm sure I will have some emotional difficulty about it but I will never throw my children out. I will never disown them. That is what North Carolina has done. I don't want that for my kids. 

I am a child out of wedlock, and certainly I don't think of myself as second class citizen and certainly would not want to be treated that way. God forgives infants' inherited sin through baptism. Why can't North Carolina? 

These are my opinions and feelings as a mother, a woman, and as a child born out of wedlock.


No comments:

Post a Comment