On Friday hubby decided to turn in early to catch up on his sleep. I decided to stay up and watch TV until midnight. As I entered our room, the smoke alarm went off. I froze for a second. I woke up hubby because it didn't seem like he was going to wake up right away. He went around the house to check it out. While it was still going I heard Big M call out scared. I told him we were checking it out. I come out of Big m's room and I see Daddy with a hanger in hand trying to silence the alarm. He kept trying for a few more seconds and finally I jumped up on a shelf and hushed it myself.
Daddy did more checking when the carbon monoxide came on. The first alarm was fire, this time the alarm was saying "carbon monoxide". Finally Daddy silenced it again and this time I was truly worried. After more checking, Daddy said it was a malfunction. It probably was but I could not help bit worry. What if wasn't a malfunction and the kids never wake up. I would never be able to live with myself.
I opened a window and I did some Googling. Finally I couldn't take it anymore and I told Daddy we needed to call the Fire department. Thankfully, the awesome man that he is, Daddy never ever dismiss my fear and worry. Never. So I call the fire department and they sent someone in. First it was a van with 1 fire fight who toon a reading. Then he called for another reading and a fire truck with 5 fire fighters came. They ended up saying there was no carbon monoxide and we were cleared to come back inside at 130am.
Getting all the kids outside to the car was quite an undertaking. We wre not at all speedy, though we knew it wasn't an emergency. We hurried though. My long ago agreed upon job was to look after the boys, and Daddy got the girls. I wrapped Little M up in the blanket and hurried Big M to grab his jacket. Then the girls had to look for their jackets which was taking too long so we grabbed whatever we could on the end and stayed in van. It was a on the chilly side that night.
We took way too long to get out of the house. I know that if it had been an emergency, would run out naked of we had to.