Wednesday, August 10, 2011

My carving

It's pretty relaxing to whittle wood, even though I've stabbed the fleshy part of my palm a few times. But had it not for the hubby's insistence on proper safety gear, I'm pretty sure I would have ended up in the ER more than once.

The wizard is my 2nd project and it's supposed to be a 5-minute project. In my case, it took more than an hour. I thought I did a pretty good job. Painting the eyes did pose a poblem. It's as if the human face is not something I see everyday. Hubby said it looks fine, so I'll let it go. Besides, it's a wizard. It's supposed to look weird.

The twisty thing was a hard one. The wood is a lot harder but I persevered. It took 3 hours one evening and then another 2 the next day. I'm just thankful it didn't break. It's not fully finished because I don't know what to do with the ends. But I'm fine with it. After 3 failed attempts, I mainly wanted to prove to myself that I could do it.

I've also attempted a full-body snow man but that isn't going very well. I took a leap too early and now I feel discouraged. I am learning that my brain cannot easily transform a 2D drawing into a 3D figure. It's tough! I told the hubby that I might pick it up again to finish someday....maybe in a couple of years. In the meantime, I need to stick to some simpler things. But I must say, both hubby and I are having fun. He's definitely better at this than I am, though. Bastard.


No comments:

Post a Comment