Friday, September 21, 2012

I cannot believe I had to pull out the "I carried you for 9 months!" card so early.

Friday afternoons are crazy (actually so are all the afternoons) because I have to pick up the kids from school in order to have time to snack and rest a bit before heading to Drama Kids. All the 3 older kids are there, but it isn't held at school.  The problem is that J doesn't seem to be adjusting to the demands of school because by 4pm, she is tired and whiny. Today was such a day. At first it was just her, by the time we get loaded in the car to head home, the others where in on it. Today, all the whining made me feel like my head was going to explode.

When I dropped them off to Drama Kids, Big M wanted to show one of the teachers that his baby brother was wearing a spiderman costume. The teacher was talking to another parent, so she ignored Big M. That didn't stop Big M from saying, "LOOK AT MY BROTHER! LOOK AT MY BROTHER!" Then as if that wasn't enough, K came to the teacher and started tugging on her arm. "Look! Look! LOOK!!!" she said. Finally the teacher was irritated, paused to address them and said, "You cannot talk to me while I am talking to someone else."

This all happened a few feet away from me, while I was busy trying to prevent Big M from choking his little brother to drag him to the teacher and show him off. I was so embarrassed. I tried to get K's attention to address her and tell her what she had done is not polite, but she was already off and running. I tried to tell Big M the same thing, and he started saying, "YOU LIE!" At this point, I took Little M and left. I figured if the teachers wanted to talk to them about the rules, I better had off and let them handle it. Besides, my kids weren't going to listen to me, and I was too busy trying to prevent Little M from joining in and running away from me.

Daddy picked them up on the way home from work, and when they got home, I immediately talked to Big M about his behavior. Instantly it set him off and started screaming and shouting that he wasn't bad and that I usually give him 3 chances before he gets in trouble. It was a whole lot of mess and a lot of screaming from him and then he went to his room. 

After a while, Daddy came in and talked to him. Then I was summoned in there so he could apologize. While apologizing, I told him that though he is doing the right thing by apologizing, my feelings were hurt and talking to me the way he did was not acceptable. That's when I pulled the "I carried you in my body for 9 months" spiel. He teared up and was truly apologetic and said he was just to mad and said things that he didn't mean.

We have made amends, punishment has been dealt and we're all good. I just can't believe that I had to do this with a 7.5 yr old. Right behind his heels are twin 5 yr old girls. ARGH! 

Sometimes I'd like to pretend my kids aren't mine and that I'm just a babysitter who doesn't speak English. For reals.

No comments:

Post a Comment