Friday, June 24, 2011

my grandmother was awesome

"Angel of God, my guardian dear, to whom His love commits me here. Every this day be at my side, to light and guard, to rule and guide. Amen."

My grandmother taught me this prayer as a child as a bedtime prayer. And just lately, I've been teaching the kids to say it before bed. And tonight, it made calming down Big M and getting him back to sleep after waking up from a nightmare a lot easier. He used to wake up from some sort of night terror hysterical when he was younger. He would scream, get up, and talk incoherently and not awake. Sometimes it took both Daddy and I to calm him down. After we moved to our current house a year and a half ago it finally lessened to 2x in one year. But in the last 2 months or so, the nightmares are starting up again. So before bed, I told Big M that he must pray and ask God to send him good dreams, or at least be there in his dreams to protect him.

Tonight, just moments ago, he woke up screaming. Daddy tried to calm him down but it wasn't working. I took over and tried to talk to him but it wasn't working very well. That is until I mentioned the prayer. We said the prayer together and with that he told me goodnight and went back to sleep.

My grandmother had watched over me from day 1 of my life and today, 10 years after she has passed on she is still watching over me and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment