Thursday, April 28, 2011

the weaning process has begun

For the last 3 weeks or so, I've started cutting out the morning feeding. It has worked quite well because Little M has now fully accepted soy milk. After he has breakfast, I give him soy milk in a sippy cup and he's good to go until about noon. He would be fully weaned during the day time if not for his need to breastfeed in order to fall asleep. So the process is going well. The only thing that isn't going well is the middle of the night feeding. Sometimes Little M wakes up 3-4x a night. The nurse in the pediatrician's office looked at me with pity and gave me some papers to read about weaning. If she only knew what I went through with Big M. Little M is a cake walk in comparison.

In the last couple of days, there is something amazing going on though. When Little M is napping in his crib he usually cries when he wakes up. His cries intensifies when he realizes there is noone in the room with him. But a few days ago he woke up and started playing and went back to sleep! A day after that, I tried to put him in his crib drowsy and not asleep and it worked. The next day, I tried the same thing and it worked again. I am giddy with excitement!

Daddy and I originally planned on transferring him to his own room by 12 months but decided to delay it since he is still breastfeeding in the middle of the night. With the progress of the past few days, I am encouraged that I will eventually get him fully weaned. :) And when we move him to his own room, maybe, just maybe, I wouldn't have to sleep in there with him. A mom can dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment