Wednesday, May 4, 2011

recovering from strep

Back in the spring of 2009, I managed to get strep throat 4 times in 5 months. How that was possible, I don't know. In the 4th course of that battle against the nasty bug, under 2 very strong antibiotics I got pregnant with Little M. How it was possible that Daddy didn't get strep throat, I don't know either.  So this time around, I was very paranoid. My first symptom was the mild achy throat, then the migraine that never went away. After 4 days of that, the fever came. The next day I hauled my bootie to the doctor and thank goodness I did. That afternoon the misery started: the achy body, the chills, night sweat, the migraine. That lasted until a full 24 hours later when the antibiotic finally kicked in. 

Interestingly enough, I think I got the strep throat from my kids. Big M came home with severe headache one day and vomited that evening. He complained that his throat hurt. A full 24 hours later he was fine, except for the store throat. After that he was completely fine, though mildly tired. On the same day of the headache, J also got it. She had a fever for 2 days and then she was fine. So by the time I went to the doctor and asked weather I should take the kids to the doctor, my doctor said that there was no need because they were already feeling better. I am both amazed and thankful that they seemed to have fought off the strep better than I did.

When I came home Daddy asked if tonsilectomy came up. I didn't bring it up, and the doctor didn't either. This is the first time I have strep throat under his care. I'm praying there wouldn't be a repeat of the spring of 2009. I don't know the down time needed in order to recover from a surgery. Having four kids is not easy when you're sick. Daddy picked up the kids and drove them to school the next day, and handled the night-time duties but that's it. I have take over after that. And what happens after I get better? I have to clean up the mess from when I was sick. 

So many things to do, so little time, and so little energy to do them.

No comments:

Post a Comment